Fall season is here Ladies and Gentlemen and that also means it is cold and flu season. Along with many other responsibilities we ASU students have little time to waste with sickness and bed rest. Little to worry, here are some tips to stay healthy and on your feet.
- First tip would be to always wash your hands. Germs are everywhere and patterns of cleanliness are different from person to person. All it takes is a wipe of an eye with a germ-infested hand to lead to a week of misery. Keeping a personal hand-sanitizer is always a good rule of thumb as well. As harsh as it may sound, it is also a good idea to distance oneself from those who are sick, even if your best-friend or significant other.
- Eat right with regular exercise. As simple as these sound, it can be somewhat difficult to work in an exercise schedule. That being said frequent workouts and a healthy diet strengthen the immune system, effectively reducing ones risk to contract a cold. Berries dark in color such as blueberries and blackberries, drinking plenty of juices like orange juice and teas such as green tea are great examples to assist in a healthy diet.
- Another tip that is easier said than done—but also possible—is to reduce stress. Keeping a realistic schedule of tasks to accomplish day to day will help alleviate stress for a person. Being familiar with one’s work ethic is useful in knowing how to stay ahead of responsibilities.
- Related to stress, getting enough sleep is just as important. Without enough rest ones energy can be easily depleted, their immune system may weaken making stress to be their only motivator to accomplish tasks. When planning a schedule for tasks make it a point to include a sleep schedule of 6 to 8 hours giving the body plenty of rest for the next day.
- Finally when coughing or sneezing, make sure to do so into the crease of ones elbow, NOT into ones hands. By sneezing into your hands there is a greater chance of germs spreading but by doing so into the elbow reduces the possibility to transfer germs. Best to always use tissues at this time and also this is where your hand sanitizer comes in hand for you or anyone around you.